Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Don't judge a book by its cover

In one of my classes - I'm a Nutrition major...yeah I find this funny and ironic - we had to do an exercise about how you would feel about taking advice from a nutrition counselor that was "not the ideal body weight".  Well damn not 10 minutes earlier this I was talking to 2 of my classmates about this exact thing (I am without a doubt one of the only fat people in my major and it can be quite intimidating - I try my hardest to not eat chocolate chip cookies in class).  I of course stated that this is something that I have thought and worried about for quite a while - will I fail at my career because of the way I look?  Will anyone want to come to me for advice?  What if no one looks beyond my appearance to give me a chance?  This topic has definitely given me a bit anxiety especially considering that for this same class we have a 5 week project where we have to counsel some random person that was assigned to us. I was completely freaking out that my client would be totally unresponsive once she saw me and not want to participate in the program any longer.  I am happy to report that she didn't show me any signs that she was not going to take advice from the fat girl and seemed interested in what I had to say.  I really hope that there are more people like her out there because I plan on being very successful in my field and career.  I may not go into counseling but I will definitely be working in the nutrition field in some way and even if I am meet with judgement I know that I have the knowledge and the passion to be where I am.

So please remember that just because someone doesn't look the part it doesn't mean that they don't have the knowledge that is needed.

“ Judgments prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.”  Wayne Dyer

1 comment:

  1. Your going to be fabulous! Just be you and focus on what's important.. Stop saying your going to fail bc You Won't... :). Be tough!

    ReplyDelete